Chronos Vocal Ensemble Choral Composition CompetitionDeadline: July 15, 2018 2018/06/20
Chronos Vocal Ensemble is an ambitious non-professional choir based in the Edmonton area. Founded in 2013, we aim to produce high-calibre choral performances in Edmonton, around Alberta and across Canada. We produce an annual season of concerts in Edmonton and perform regularly in the surrounding area. In 2015, we won the Healey Willan Grand Prize in the National Competition for Canadian Amateur Choirs. We have released three recordings: Presenting Chronos Vocal Ensemble (2015), The Simplest Way: The Music of Trent Worthington (2016) and most recently, Fresh: New Music From Canada (May 2018). We have toured around Alberta and the Prairies, and will perform at Podium 2018 in St. John’s NL this June.
Since its inception, Chronos Vocal Ensemble has championed Canadian music and supported the creation of new works. With the launch of the second Chronos Vocal Ensemble Choral Composition Competition, following the release of our newest recording, the choir is continuing that focus on bringing new, engaging Canadian works to the choral community.
We believe in supporting both established and emerging choral talent, creating two eligibility categories: Grand Prize (General) and Alberta Student Composers. Anyone who fits the general criteria is eligible to enter. To qualify for the Student category, an entry must meet all the general guidelines and some additional age and education requirements (see below).
Prizes for the competition have been generously provided by an anonymous supporter.
- General (All Canadian composers): The composer must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or landed immigrant. The work submitted must be original, not an arrangement of a pre-existing piece or melody. The composition must not have been commissioned, published, performed or recorded at the time of entry, and must remain so until performed by Chronos Vocal Ensemble within the following season.
- Albertan Student Composers: To be eligible for this category, all the requirements of the general category must be met AND the following additional requirements must also be met:
- Composer must be a current Alberta resident,
- Composer must be 25 or under at time of entry and/or in progress of completing an undergraduate degree in Music
- The winning compositions in each category will be performed by Chronos Vocal Ensemble in the 2018-2019 season. Winners will receive a recording of the performance.
- In addition, prizes of $1500 for the General category and $500 for the Student category.
- Chronos Vocal Ensemble will champion the winning compositions and endeavour to promote these works further as appropriate.
- For a winner interested in attending the premiere, Chronos Music Society may be able to contribute to costs.
Full Guidelines and Entry Forms available at chronosvocalensemble.com/competition
All entries must be accompanied by an Entry Form.